Monday, December 8, 2008

HSG Scheduled

It's going down on the 15th. I am pretty freaked out about it right now. I'm freaked out about the pain... I'm freaked out about them finding something wrong... I'm freaked.

I keep stopping to take a breath and think:

1. I am not the first person to have this done. Women get it done all the time. It's a friggin IF rite of passage. Stop being such a whimp about it.
2. It's important to know that this checks out. I don't want to keep fooling around with all this TTC crap with possibly closed tubes. So you're doing it whether you want to or not.
3. Maybe it will help me get pregnant. Getting pregnant is the goal so stop whining.
4. It probably will not be that bad, maybe not pleasant, but not that bad. You tolerate this stuff pretty well. So get over it.
5. If I can't handle this I had better just give up right now.

Yeah, I know that giving birth is supposed to be painful, but at least you get a baby at the end. And I have heard from some people that their HSGs were more painful than giving birth. I had better get something good out of this... Taco Bell ain't cutting it.

So the only question is, should I make my husband come? I would like to leave him at home so that I can do some Christmas shopping afterwards, but I might be a bit optimistic if I really think I can do this alone. Anyone got an opinion?

Also, I appreciate comments, but I do not want to hear any bad HSGs stories. On the other hand, if your HSG was a stroll through the park, please do tell.


The Wife said...

I can't shed any light on the HSG procedure. I haven't gotten to that stage yet. Thanks for the b-day wishes!

Fireworks or bonfires....sounds interestind, do tell.

Celia said...


My HSG was just fine. I have had waaaaay worse period cramps. I even forgot to take my Tylenol and was still fine.

The part that I thought sucked was that it re-started my flow for three days and so even though I was about to ovulate there was no baby main going on.

Just take the day for yourself and have a treat.

I will say that I totally allowed Mr.Mostly to spoil me that day. He was more freaked out by it than I was.

amanda said...

I went to my HSG appointment alone because my husband had to work, and I lived to tell about it. I really didn't feel like I needed him there, but if you think the emotional support would come in handy then have him tag along. Otherwise, enjoy your shopping. Good luck!

Good Egg Hatched said...

I am so excited to comment here because I was in exactly your shoes one year ago (Christmas Eve, if you can believe it...nothing like some dye in your girl parts on a major holiday). I was absolutely terrified...spent two days prior to the test searching online for anything to give me comfort (didn't find much...I would advise you NOT to search online). I was so upset I had my PCP give me a prescription to xanax and took one before going in. I made my husband go in with me and everything. I was prepared for the worst...horrible pain and discomfort. But honestly, it was a walk in the park for me -- absolutely no worse than a pap smear or any other procedure like that. It was so nothing I was embarrassed to talk to the technicians after it was over -- just wanted to get out of there b/c I'd been so shaky about it. I promise, you will be fine!

emilythehopeless said...

i had a sonohysterogram, a little bit different, same idea.. it wasn't too bad. ER was way worse. good luck!! :)

Anonymous said...

I had mine done in August. I was really freaked out too, but it wasn't as bad as I had feared. I read all kinds of stories online, how some women had no problem at all, and some it was the worst pain in their life. I figured that if there was any chance at it being that painful, I wanted drugs.

I called my gyn and insisted on some valium in addition to the motrin they recommended you take before the procedure. They only prescribed one pill, a very low dose, so I also took some xanax and vicodin. I don't recommend mixing all of those - it's probably not a wise thing to do, but I was so full of anxiety, I just knew in order to get through it, I would need some pharmaceutical help. And my husband was driving me there and back.

My husband took the day off work and went with me, which was good. I think the whole experience was eye opening for him, to see the invasive tests we have to go through. I think he was more sympathetic after going through it with me. It really wasn't as bad as I had feared, though it was quite painful for about a minute, while he was pushing the dye, even with all the self medicating, but it was over so fast. It was nice to see that my tubes were clear, and they say you are more fertile for the next couple of cycles, because of flushing the tubes. The cramping afterward wasn't fun, but not much worse than bad period cramps. I did manage to pull it together and go to my FIL's birthday dinner later that night, though I was a little loopy from all the meds.

Anyhow, you will be fine. The anticipation was much worse for me than the actual procedure. I would ask your husband to go with you though. If you are at all anxiety prone, ask for drugs. That's what they are there for.