DH has found some property that he'd like to buy. It's farm-able land that we could rent and it's in a good location for us, so that we could also build on it someday when the time is right. A very good investment for us.
The only thing is that we don't really have the money for the monthly mortgage payment on it right now. We will have the money pretty early next year after we finish paying off my parents (we borrowed part of our down payment for our house to avoid PMI and not have to rent for another year).
We can swing the payments out of our savings until then, but I was REALLY looking forward to ditching that payment. Once we were done with that, then we could have finished paying off the car by the end of the year and then our ONLY debt would be the mortgage on the house. I fantasize about that day.
But aside from me giving up my dream of having spare cash to actually use on something that we can enjoy (we haven't taken a vacation in 3 years and that was our belated honeymoon), my stomach was tying in knots about what would happen if I lost my job (hubby works for the govt... not really worried about him losing his)? I don't really expect to lose it, but I truly don't feel as secure as I did a year ago. And it makes me nervous.
How can we afford our life if I lost my job? Having a baby to provide for has definitely made me more worry more.
We live pretty lean, except for our grocery budget. I'm still not sure how to trim things up there. But otherwise, the low hanging fruit of our budget has definitely been picked. So finally the other night we sat down and discussed how we could make the worst work.
We talked for a couple of hours. I feel so much better now.
At this time, if I lost my job, I don't think I'd try to get another one. I'd rather take the time I have with Michael... even though I don't want to be a SAHM, but I'd rather do that than try to get established at a new job with M still being so little.
We would probably sell DH's truck for the cash since we have have my old car as a spare for him to drive.
And then the big thing... we would probably try to get his job transferred to down near his parents. If I'm not working, there is really nothing holding us here. DH would probably be promoted if he took a transfer. And his grandma's house is vacant and could be fixed up. We could sell our house here. We could live on one income, with money to spare. Free babysitting à la MIL. I could hang out with DH's friends' wives (the ones that don't annoy me) that stay at home and do play dates. Go for baby #2.
As resistant to that life as I have been, it is really starting to appeal to me. Maybe a little too much. Plan B doesn't look so bad right now.