Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Days of fury...

nights of terror.

Michael has gone from having 2 teeth to 5 teeth in a very short period of time (with 6, 7, and 8 not far off). This has resulted in a lot of night wakings and tylenol and nursing. All the nursing has been hard on me physically. My right shoulder, which I lovingly refer to as the Shoulder of Doom, has been on fire lately but I'm kinda used to it since it does this fairly regularly. But then my left shoulder decided to get in on the action too.

I had the chiropractor work on it on Saturday and it helped but it ain't fixed. Monday I woke up with a lot of pain but hoped it would get better throughout the day. I took tylenol at lunch and ibuprofen in the afternoon (I never take ibuprofen anymore). Then after I got him down for the night last night I was hurting so badly that I had to lay down for an hour. When I got up it hurt so bad that I could only breathe shallowly and was sobbing. It was a really sharp pain so I was worried that I dislocated something. I was so mad at myself for not getting it seen earlier in the day and now I was in a ton of pain and it was late at night.

And it hurt bad. I've given birth without an epidural and I can say that most of this was more painful than most of that. I decided that the only thing I could do was go to the ER. I took an naproxem and drove myself since DH had to stay home with Michael. I was bawling all the way in. I could barely walk or breathe. Thankfully the Alieve started to kick in (and FYI, naproxem is not such a good idea while breastfeeding, I was desperate).

I waited for hours in a very full waiting room. I was finally called back around midnight. Then I waited for another half hour. Then when the dr finally saw me I was completely unimpressed (his name, FYI, was Dr. Slaughter). He didn't really get where my pain was coming from and I don't think his exam was very thorough. He thinks I could have "micro tears" of the tendon (or something) from repetitive injury (breastfeeding a 27lb baby). He was efficient when he saw me since I explained that I had a baby at home that was teething and would not take a bottle and really needed to get home for him. He gave me a (useless) sling and prescription for diclofenac which is an NSAID that is safe for breastfeeding. It still hurts to breathe.

I finally got home and went to bed around 1 am. Thankfully Michael never woke up, probably because we gave him tyelnol at bedtime that night (we normally hold off until he wakes but I was already in a state and so was he). I think I might have slept and hour or 2. I had to get up at 5 am this morning to feed Michael so that we could take him to his big ENT appointment.

The verdict from that was that he does have decreased hearing and his ear drums are not vibrating normally from all the ear infections and he needs tubes. I agree, but I was still hoping for better. We will be scheduling that shortly. But he loved the appointment. He was flirting with everyone and soaking up the attention.

We also went over the spitting up. Our Ped's position has been that your baby is fat and it's ok for fat babies to spit up. Which is bullshit. I got so fed up the other week I called and pretty much demanded a script. Finally, we got some Zantac. We gave it to him that night before dinner and he promptly spit up EVERYTHING in his stomach. He filled his highchair tray. Yum. It was horrific and he was so upset. We haven't given him another dose.

The ENT thought the Ped was wrong for with holding the Zantac for so long and it was an issue of acid reflux as well as quality of life (hallelujah! someone was finally listening!) and contributing to the ear infections and that Prevacid was probably the more appropriate choice (rather than trying the Zantac again, which is what the Ped told us to do). So we got that script, but it has to be compounded so we are still waiting on it to be filled. I'm not the biggest fan of Prevacid and I'm a little weary of giving it to him, but we'll give it a try and I'll be on the look out for issues.

No tylenol tonight for Michael. Let's hope that we aren't in for another night of waking up screaming from the baby. No pain pills for me either (yet).


Michelle said...

Awww I hope things slow down there for you. That sounds horrible! I hope the little guy feels better soon too. That's a lot of teeth for all at once.

Celia said...

How is it going? Why is ok for a fat baby to throw up? That is dumb. Poor Michael.

Sophie said...

You poor things! Your shoulder sounds really bad, I hope it gets better soon. How are you feeling these days?