It's one of those weeks when I'm caught between what I want to sew and what I need to sew. And to top it off, I'm slightly sick (a consequence of visiting the inlaws) so I don't really want to do anything.
But it was another one of those chilly mornings and Michael currently only has 3 pairs of pants that fit him and all are in the laundry. So I really need to get with the pants making. Luckily I did buy a bunch of fleece last week at Joann's 50% off. And I saved even more when I picked up some fleece remnants which are already 50% off (you get the sale 50% on top of that).
So I needed to update my pants pattern. I found my recent shorts pattern and knew I needed to add a touch to the rise and make the legs longer. I usually like to make my patterns on big pieces of paper but I'm about out. I have some muslin that's good for patterns but I don't like tracing it. I bought some pattern tracing paper the other week. Big mistake. That stuff is about useless it's so thin. Tear resistant my ass. And then I remembered my left over blackout lining. Which leads me to...
I had a bunch of left over lining from sewing my nephew's curtains. I never know what to do with excess drapery lining. You can't really sew it together to make a bigger piece because then it won't really be 'blackout' anymore and it really only works as a curtain lining so it's not like you can use it in other sewing projects too easily. And it's such nice material, I hate throwing it away, but that's what I've done with it in the past... well only after months of holding on to it hoping I find a use then finally giving up and tossing it while cleaning.
So I had a little pile of it sitting next to my sewing table the other day when I was getting ready to make my reusable shopping bag. I knew I'd be using that pattern a few dozen times so I wanted to make it out of something that would last and be easy to trace and that when I remembered my blackout lining. The pattern worked great and I folded it up to use again later.
Main bag and reinforced handle. I will try to make a tutorial for this bag later.
So I went ahead and made the pattern for some simple pants. Blackout lining is easy to mark on with permanent marker and doesn't bleed. It also cuts like a dream. It's a little thicker so it can easily be traced. It lays flat even after being folded for a long time. It might be the perfect pattern material.
I'm so wasteful... I didn't even try to get that on the side.
I fold my patterns up and put them in gallon zip lock bags when I'm done. I keep all of Michael's pants together so I always make each set with the month and year so I can tell one from the other.
At least I tried to conserve fabric with this piece.
I got the pants I made with this pattern nearly done and tried them on Michael and realized that they were too wide. I trimmed down the pants and then went back and trimmed down the my pattern similarly. I'm just fumbling around here and hoping what I make is wearable.
Take a little off the sides.
Trimmed down they were pretty much perfect.
Silly, wonderful boy.
Now I just need to make about 4 more fleece pairs... and then some jeans... and then some lined woven... and then some corduroy....